Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tea Time Tuesday Presents: Strawberry Wine

Tea Time Tuesday Presents:


Why hello there, lovelies,

Mischievous M here for another Tea Time Tuesday. This week I bring you another awesome one-shot, "Strawberry Wine" by the fantastic SydneyAlice.

I liked this particular one-shot for a couple of different reasons. One of the first reasons was because it didn't go directly to that HEA. No offense to HEA, I love it. It started off as serene-like with a hint of mystery, something that always gets me hooked, and as you go on reading you can really connect with the story itself: love and life.

The piece is a sweet, and lemony, story with Bella and Edward. Bella is staying with her dad in the Swan Farm when Charlie hires a new farmhand, Edward Cullen. They start falling in love with each other even though Bella's dad tries to keep them from going too far. After a night together, they try to make it work as they go their seperate ways, but life is inevitable. Yet, when life comes into play, it has it's own way of fixing things again.

~ * ~

The next morning, we were giggling as we walked hand-in-hand along the path back toward the house. We were so wrapped up in each other that neither of us noticed my father sitting on the front porch – with his rifle lying across his lap.

"You're fired," my father glared at Edward. "But that's the least of your worries."

"Dad…"

"She's seventeen," Charlie growled as he quickly rose from his rocking chair. "Seventeen years old. Did you know that?"

Edward limply dropped my hand. "You're seventeen?"

"Yes," I whispered softly.

"But you're going to be a freshman in college," Edward said disbelieving.

"I skipped first grade," I offered quietly in explanation.

"Holy shit…"

"That's right," Charlie murmured gravely. "I suggest you get off my property before I call the police. Or shoot you. Take your pick."

Edward's eyes flashed with fear before he took my hand in his. "I love her, Charlie."

"Sure you do," my father grunted as he pulled the rifle barrel closer to his waist.

"Wait a damn minute!" I screamed. "First of all, the police won't do a thing because the age of consent in Washington is sixteen years old!"

"How do you know that?" Edward whispered hopefully.

"Wikipedia," I muttered under my breath.

"The age of consent in my house is higher," my father grumbled. "I don't give a damn if you're thirty. You are my daughter, and a boy should treat you with respect. Dragging you home at dawn isn't being respectful."

"Daddy, I love him."

"You don't know what love is," Charlie growled as held the gun a little tighter. "You're just a kid."
"I know that I love him," I replied calmly, and Edward squeezed my hand. "He loves me, and in a couple of weeks there will be thousands of miles separating us. Please let us have these last few weeks together."

This sobered him immediately, and he lowered the rifle. "You'll still go to school?"

"Of course," I whispered. "I never considered otherwise."

His gaze then turned to Edward. "You'll be respectful and take care of her?"

"I promise."

My father sighed heavily and finally lowered his rifle.

"You're still fired," he grunted, before walking through the screen door and slamming it shut. We both exhaled the breaths we'd been holding before dissolving into a fit of giggles.

~ * ~

Did I mention I squee'd a couple of seconds into the story?

Yep, I really did.

The one-shot caught my attention right away and kept it all throughout. So if you like fluff and a hint of lemony goodness, then this is a good read for you. Not to mention is very well written and will get you hooked. So stop by and give "Strawberry Wine" a chance and leave a nice review for SydneyAlice. You won't be disappointed.

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for Wicked Wednesday!

Love,

~*~ Mischievous M

No comments:

Post a Comment