Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tearjerker Thursday: Devotion



Well, hello there, people. It's been a while since I did a sad rec, but here I am. 

Today, I'm going to recommend a beautiful one-shot. It's painful, horrible, awful, and at the same time so romantic and beautiful. The story I want to talk about is Devotion by ele05gs and Lehava.

In 'Devotion', Bella unknowingly saves Edward from his abusive father. They are only small children, but when she sees his bruises, she can't stop from asking him aloud about it. With it, the ball got rolling and Edward's father is sent to jail. 

Over the years, Edward's admiration for the girl only grows. He lives across the street from her with the Cullens, who took him in at a young age. His room has an excellent view and he watches her all the time. He's completely enamored with her, but he doesn't think she could ever feel the same. 

When her father is hospitalized, and Bella is nothing but a grieving mess, he starts writing her. With each letter, Bella falls harder for her mystery writer, and she starts writing back. One day, Edward can't take it anymore and he goes to the diner where she works. He even fixes some things in her house to be close to her. 

Bella and Edward grow closer, and when she learns he's her mystery writer, she can't be happier.
Everything seems to go well, but will it stay that way? What happens when his father is released from jail?




When he came back, he was a twenty-four year old almost doctor, who could easily work with his dad in the hospital, and have any girl he wanted. On the other hand, Bella was the nineteen year old that stayed home for the first year of college, because her parents were hurt and she couldn't pay the tuition. That's how her life had been for now. Getting up, getting dressed, going to work, taking care of the house, taking care of herself. Waiting at the phone for news and visiting Charlie had become one of her daily routines. If she worked a year at The Grill, maybe she could pay for the first half year of college. Bella secretly hoped that by that time everything would be all right again.

While Bella pondered, it didn't occur to her that Edward had placed the camera before his eye and in one swift motion, took a picture of her. One of the many pictures he already had. In that moment, that precious moment, when he saw her walking away… he knew what he was going to do.

Edward had always been shy, and wouldn't let people in easily. Even if he wanted to, he simply couldn't. So if he couldn't speak to Bella personally, he'd write down everything he felt for her, because he was an exquisite writer and found his way with words easily. That night Bella received her first letter.

She sat in the old couch Charlie used to sit in. Sitting there made her feel safe, as if he were there to protect her. She turned and turned the manila envelope around, not knowing if she should open it. Her name was scribbled in a beautiful handwriting on the front.
After a few minutes, sitting there and looking at it she made up her mind and tore it open.

Isabella,
I know it must be strange finding a letter in your mailbox, without knowing who it came from. I know you don't know me, but I know you and for now, that's enough.
I sense you are not happy, I can see it in every move of your body. I know this wasn't the life you had planned for yourself. I see you as someone with big dreams
and great adventures ahead of you, though some circumstances made you bury those dreams alive
for the moment. One day, my Bella, I truly hope you can dig them up again,
for you deserve to have everything you desire. I'm writing to you, because it's the only way I can be close to you
. You are the one thing, the one person I desire and
it breaks my heart to know that I shall never have this one thing.

She read the words over and over again, letting them float into her mind. The words danced before her eyes as she wondered who had sent this letter to her, who could write such graceful and loving words. Those words made her feel like she hadn't felt in a while; she had longed to read such comforting words for the longest time. Words that could make her smile and that made her feel special and loved.


I really loved this one-shot. It got underneath my skin and made my heart ache for Edward. The letters were truly beautiful, and even made me smile. It has everything for a beautiful romance, even if Edward is a little too obsessed with her and has more pictures of her than regular people have of theirselves. 

When I thought it was going to have a beautiful ending, something did BAM! The drama came out of nowhere and I sat at the edge of my seat, hoping that everything would turn out alright. 

'Devotion' is a masterpiece and you should all go read it. Do it! 

Until next time, my lovelies, 

Salacious S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment