Saturday, March 19, 2011

Interview with contest winner Ele05gs



So we finally managed to get Ele05gs here, after some communication issues and got to interview her. 
You've all undoubtedly read the review for her winning one-shot, but now we get to take a look into the mind of the author behind this masterpiece. 

1. Can you tell us something about yourself?

Hm. Well, reading is my passion, if I could I would have a book in my hands all day (Something that didn’t involve studying, though :p) I love writing too, even though I don’t have as much time as I wish I did for it right now with college. It seems I have a few things to learn from Mehek18!
Oh! I also think too much, that’s probably why it took me ages to reply to this! ;)


2. How did you become involved with Twilight and fanfiction?

I first found about Twilight through Paramore's video "Decode." Needless to say I was in love!
After I watched the move I wanted more, so I started following websites and then came twitter. That's how I found out about the books, something I was oblivious to until then. I did some research until I found them online (they weren't available in my country then) and read them all in as fast as I could. Again I was in loooove!
That along with twitter brought fanficion to my knowledge. And suddenly I couldn't get away from the computer! The first fic I read was in Twilighted, I admit I’m not exactly found of it. So when I found FFn I was thrilled! I spent my summer holidays reading that year!
Eventually I decided I could try to write something myself, and the ideas haven’t stopped popping up since then!

3. What were your first thoughts when you heard you won?

“Holy Sh!t!” Yeah, that’s exactly what I thought!  I was seriously surprised, I wasn’t exacting it, not at all.


4. How did you come up with the plot for From Your Valentine?
 
I don’t even know! I think I saw about the contest through Twitter and I thought why not, right? I never wrote anything dark before, even less something bloody. But as soon as I read the rules and everything the thought just came by and the story came into my mind.
Then came the hard thing: writing the ending and finding a title. So I did a little research about Valentine’s Day. I found some pretty interesting stories, but one said that St. Valentine used to write letters to his love one from prison and he would always end them with “from your Valentine.” And that’s when magic happened!


5. Can you tell us about your other stories?
 
I only have one multi-chapter story, the first fic I wrote, “If It Kills Me.” Funny how I’m still to finish it. When I first started I didn’t know a thing about betas and pre-readers so it kind of sucked, especially since English is not my first language. But I’ve been told my writing improved since then, and I feel that way too.
I have quite a few one-shots too. I like OS’ quite a lot, it might leave you wanting more but I feel it’s easier because with classes I don’t have much time to update my stories and I feel bad leaving my readers waiting. That’s probably why I only have one WIP story.
On my OS’ again, I have wrote most of them for contest, two of which were collabs with Lehava: “I Can’t Live Without Your Love” and “Devotion.” The first was written for “Til Death Do Us Apart” contest which should give you an idea of what’s about. The later is about obsession and well, devotion. Edward has a trebled life of sorts, his only way of escaping is by watching his neighbor, who just happens to be Bella. When her life starts stumbling down he finds the chance to get close to her and help her through it. Only he didn’t know she could save him too.
I admit I like writing angst, I don’t really know why, but I do. The first angst-filled story I wrote was “Silence” it was supposed to be a multi-chapter story but I never got to finish it, so I let is as a OS, it’s kind of short, but I’m actually quite proud of it.
For those of you interested I’m already working on another multi-chapter story, full of angst! But it won’t be published until I finish my current WIP fic!


6. Where do you get your inspiration?
 
Usually from songs or pictures.  Sometimes are just thoughts that come to my mind, though. Or from watching people, I like to ‘people-watch’. My mind works in an odd way.

7. Is there something special you need in order to write? Quiet, traffic, tequila, pizza??

No, nothing in particular. I like listening to music while writing, or just a quite house. But it’s not a must. I need to have my head clear or every RL situation though, just put it aside for a bit.

8. If you could collab with one person, who would that be?

With Lehava! Definitely! I’ve already worked with her and we made a good work, in my opinion. I would do it a million times over and write a full story with her, but our schedules don’t fit, at all.


9. Who are your favorite authors?
 
That’s a tough one. I don’t a small list, but I’ll give you some:
These authors wrote stories that even if I lived a million years I wouldn’t forget.


10. Which are your favorite stories?
 
Again too many to list, and my list keep growing too. I did mention I love reading after all. My latest favorites are: Faking It, Green, Kindly Unspoken, Love Songs in E Minor. Then there are stories like Wide awake, Secrets Don't Keep Friends and What Impossible Means that are and will always be my favorites!


11. Who's your favorite character and why?
 
Well, why, Edward of course! Isn’t he just swoon worthy?
Oh, and even though I wouldn’t list it as one of my favorite characters, I like Alice a lot too. She’s optimistic and always cheerful, something I think we need more in life.


12. If you were to meet ... (that character) in person, what would you say/do? 
 
GAH! I would faint. But hey as Edward is fictional I can settle with Rob Pattinson! ;)


13. Are you currently involved in any other fandoms or activities to do with the fandom?
 
No, not at the moment. I did once write for a good cause, if you will. To help the flood in Jacksonville last year and I’m planning on helping with my writing in Fandom Gives Back as soon as I have some more time.


14. Can you tell us a secret? 
 
I’m secretly terrified of writing smut, I feel I won’t make it good enough, and it’s kind of embarrassing too! *blushes*

15. Do you have any wise words you'd like to share with readers?

I would say that if you’re wondering whether to write your first fic or not, then don’t! Don’t wonder I mean *wink*. You will see that once you start even the most insignificant thought will give you ideas to write more. I used to be skeptical towards my writing skills –I still am –but you will never know how good you are, or could, be until you try.
Also asking for help won’t hurt you. I’ve come to see people in this fandom are all so wonderful, I made great friends here, friends I intend on having for as long as I live.
Lastly, like Neil Gaiman once said:You’ll get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it." *grin*
I hope you all enjoyed that! I know, I did. Thank you, darling. *winks*

Salacious Out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment