Thursday, March 3, 2011

Interview with contest winner Mehek18


She blew our minds with her story The Valentine Rock and so it didn't seem more than fair that we got to dissect her brain for a bit. Let's see what our contest winner, the wonderful Mehek18 had to tell us. 

1. Can you tell us something about yourself?

About myself, I make banners and I'm a fast reader. My top hobbies are reading. No matter how hard
classes are, I take a few hours to read fanfiction everyday. If I don't get time to read, I get very crazy. I
have to schedule every minute of my day to make time for other activities besides college.

2. How did you become involved with Twilight and fanfiction?

I became involved with Twilight by reading the books, at first I couldn't bring myself to get into the
first book. However, once I made it half way I was hooked. I finished the next books by reading it
nonstop and finishing it within just a couple of days.

Involving myself in fanfiction was a complete surprise. I couldn't get enough of the twilight series
just by four books. I wrote a continuous of their story in a notebook. As I wrote I started searching
for facts about twilight to write into my story. As I searched the internet I came across a site called
Wattpad.com. I read my first twilight fanfiction in that site, story had only two multi-chapter story and
still didn't give a complete ending. Every week I used to check the story if the person will add more
and give me some kind of ending. That story had made me crazy. Finally underneath the comments, the
uploaded wrote the site fanfiction.net to find more stories. That is when I discovered other crazy writers
like me. I was hooked from the start and just read everything I could get my hands on. However I didn't
forget about that story from Wattpad and started to search it everywhere, but I couldn't find it because
in Wattpad, there was no penname or the right title to search it from. Months later I finally found it and
squealed like crazy. I wrote a big review to the author explaining my madness about the search for the
last part to the story. Believe me, the author was just as shocked!

Over time I have become choosy and read stories only when they are complete and recommended. In
the beginning I read in-completes and authors wouldn't update for months and months leaving me right
on the edge. Finally, I decided not to torture myself and started to read complete stories. I haven't read
a normal novel for a long time now. If its class related then I make myself read another novel.

I started writing fanfiction just as something like a hobby. I didn't understand back then what a beta is,
what it takes to write a good fanfiction. I am still learning and giving my best to improve every time.

3. What were your first thoughts when you heard you won?

I was shocked and completely surprised. I seriously wasn't expecting to win at all. The story didn't
actually make sense to me. I was not even planning to submit it but I thought I had wrote it so why not.
I never expected to win at all!

4. How did you come up with the plot for The Valentine Rock?

The plot of The Valentine Rock was actually just a crazy thought I made. I never written a scary fic
before, I had to read some short horror stories to remind me what I should focus on. I thought about

writing characters around James, Bella and Edward but I wanted to do something different and not
make it a murder/revenge thing. I wanted something completely weird. I started to think about ghosts
and stuff and decided to write an outline for it. The rock was just an object that came into my head.

5. Can you tell us about your other stories?
Challenging Humanity is one of my best stories. Its about a mute Bella, new in town and meeting
the Cullens. This story focuses more on father/daughter friendship. Its a cute story that I started after
I wrote my first fanfiction. My first fanfiction was really bad and I didn't know anything about the
chapter length or beta. I started Challenging Humanity right after.

My other mini stories have to do with Twilight series, like little chapters that might have happened
before or during Twilight series.

Dream To Reality story was my first fic that I collab with Precious Angel 204. This fic was actually
written for a one shot contest but I missed the deadline because I couldn't find any beta on time.
Precious Angel 204 added her own smoothness and made it into multi-chapters. We decided to collab
together. It is a very cute story about Edward and Bella losing their virginity. It was my first attempt at
writing smut!

My other stories are one shots I had written for other fandom contests. Whatever catches my attention
and makes me want to write an outline, I write a one shot for it.

6. Where do you get your inspiration?

It mostly depends on what I am trying to write for. If its for a one shot contest my inspiration would be
a picture, if a story then it would be inspired by something I was thinking about.

7. Is there something special you need in order to write? Quiet, traffic, tequila, pizza??

To write I wouldn't need quiet, but I would need a desk with either notebook and a pen, or my laptop.
I couldn't write with distractions so I would either write in some place like a classroom or library. In
between I would read fanfiction.

8. If you could collab with one person, who would that be?

I have only collab with one person so far who is Precious Angel 204. I can't think of anyone else that
can callob with me since my grammar is awful. I am still learning my way around writing fanfiction.
I had plan on collabing with my friend in the fandom but we both don't time to keep up with regular
updates for readers and don't want to leave each other hanging.

9. Who are your favorite authors?

Oh my god, too many to choose from. Honestly I read so many that my favorite list keeps growing. I
can't ever keep track. These are only a few authors names I could think of that I read more than just one
story of theirs recently.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1999955/Choices_HP

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1712635/JulesSC

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2313879/ermireallydontcare

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1869875/SydneyAlice

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1756195/nobloodnofoul

10. Which are your favorite stories?

Too many to chose from, the names on top of my head would be

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5852800/1/A_Marriage_of_Honour

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4805000/1/Breaking_the_Silence

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4770452/1/Fearless

and stories from those authors I listed above.

11. Who's your favorite character and why?

I am team Edward all the way in twilight books. In movies I like Jacob, sorry I know I will get
many haters for that. I am team Edward in twilight books for obvious reasons, he is a perfect guy in
everyway, human or vamp. If it weren't for him, I don't think I would have completed Twilight series. I
came very close to throwing away the New Moon book until I sneaked a peak at the end.

12. If you were to meet Edward or Jacob in person, what would you say/do?

Lol, I would like to keep reality and twilight separate but if I had to meet them, I think an autograph
would be enough. I would be too intimidated to say or ask anything.

13. Are you currently involved in any other fandoms or activities to do with the fandom?

Besides making banners and writing one shots for contests, I am pretty busy with college. I was part
of a lot of activities during the summer and winter until my college started. Now its too hectic to do
anything else.

14. Can you tell us a secret?

I discovered about BDSM from twilight fanfictions (lol), so I completely blame the fandom writers for
my smutty thoughts. Shhh, its a secret.

15. Do you have any wise words you'd like to share with readers?

If you were writing fanfiction, I would suggest getting a mentor, prereader, beta and write out an
outline. These are necessary things to write a good fic. Writing was a hobby but now its a learning
process for me. Make a friend in the fandom, people are great once you open up. If you think you are
crazy, don't worry this fandom wouldn't be here if it weren't for people like you (smiles).

Go check out Mehek18's stories here. And be sure to read The Valentine Rock! 

Salacious Out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment